Skip to content

Artillery Genius 3D Printer Review

This printer is now for sale at the link below for $279 using offer code “BGGenius” get it while you can!!

First things first, here’s a link to the Artillery Genius 3d Printer: Artillery Genius DIY 3D Printer

I chose the Artillery Genius for a few reasons, mainly because it’s something different. I wanted to keep the same size and price class as the Ender 3 XS Pro and Anet A8 Plus that I previously reviewed, but look into a few different main features. The main eye catching feature of this printer for me is that it has an AC heated bed which is unheard of at this price point. It also looks like a generally higher quality printer than the Anet or Creality counterparts but time will tell here.

Upon opening the box i found the printer was mostly assembled and there were a lot less pieces than any printer I have received so far.
Here are some pictures of the unboxing process:

[Image: 4bwGDyDl.jpg]
[Image: MDwAe0Ml.jpg]
[Image: mqJmmRNl.jpg]
[Image: 1b18oQ6l.jpg]
[Image: V7PaaPJl.jpg]
[Image: VzCMVHXl.jpg]
[Image: 8Pr10c9l.jpg]
[Image: 1iZl3T9l.jpg]
[Image: Q9MyQkfl.jpg]
[Image: F8YnHOZl.jpg]

So my initial thoughts:

  • Everything seems more polished than traditional printers
  • It still has the basic V slot design, with the bottom being the same as a standard V slot printer but with cover sheeting (I assume this is the same as the CR10 Pro models)
  • The blue injection moulded parts appear nice
  • The printer has ribbon cables to run everything on the gantry, I like how they look and move but time will tell their reliability
  • There is a PCIE x 1 slot utilised to link between the gantry and base, making assembly very simple.

Now, assembly is fully shown in 2 pages on the book that is included, basically screw on the gantry, install the spool rollers and plug a few cables in.

[Image: 8OLhUnwl.jpg]
[Image: MFAnaoJl.jpg]

Here’s the PCI express interface I talk about:

[Image: DjARjAPl.jpg]
[Image: G26z45bl.jpg]

For main assembly, I slotted in the gantry and tipped the printer to its side to insert the bolts from below:

[Image: D7JBfZ7l.jpg]
[Image: pKsUvdLl.jpg]

Then I had to plug in a few cables at the bottom for the stepper motors and end stop like this one:

[Image: Qen5HKNl.jpg]
[Image: eLLoabtl.jpg]

The filament spool holder setup is a bit different, which I like as new ideas are good for hobbies:

[Image: PAR13OBl.jpg]

The instructions said to adjust the V slot eccentric nuts if anything was loose, and I found that everything on the gantry was nice and tight but the bed had a little bit of movement in the Y direction (Up and Down). I moved the eccentric nuts with the included (and very nice) spanner while wobbling the bed until it stopped wobbling but not so far that it was tight to slide. In this picture you can see the eccentric nuts under the bed frame:

[Image: W6OQ6Q5l.jpg]

Now, Here is the assembled printer:

[Image: ZfEgKoIl.jpg]

I followed the instructions for bed levelling, it reccommended the paper method, but oh I love how easy it is to bed level with the touch screen. I took photos of each step of the menus here:

[Image: XqOKkp4l.jpg]
[Image: geJNEWUl.jpg]

It recommended heating nozzle and bed for 1min before levelling, so I did:

[Image: 3qsCTOxl.jpg]

And now here is the Levelling menu, just press on each corner and adjust the bed, no auto level>disable steppers and manual movement stuff…

[Image: 4bhRGCFl.jpg]

Here’s some pics from levelling

[Image: WXDfvpcl.jpg]
[Image: mSH6hUZl.jpg]

Levelling went smoothly, I did it with paper all around and then quickly double checked and touched up by eye, which was suuuuper easy with the button presses.
I have noticed by this point but the steppers are nice and quiet, even at high speeds!

Lastly after I added an old almost empty roll of white filament for a test, I put the test print on, here’s a pic of the first layer:

[Image: ZRmfWpxl.jpg]

Unfortunately this test print was somewhat underwhelming. It didn’t have consistent extrusion and the finish wasn’t nice.

So I decided after the underwhelming test print I would set this up in CURA so I have a known start place and go from there. Technically there is no CURA profile for this printer, but since It is basically an Ender 3 I created an Ender 3 profile and then renamed it and changed the start and end G code to what i prefer on my Ender 3. Really nothing else was required for changes which is good. I will probably export and upload the profile to my blog when I complete this review if anyone wants it.

Now for print settings I didn’t change that much from the basic ender 3 settings, the main one was that I changed retraction from 5mm to 1mm as this printer has a direct drive extruder.

I wanted to print a baby yoda, so I scaled the model down 50% and put it on the USB stick included with the printer.

For changes on the printer itself, I tightened the preload on the spring for the extruder drive, which was quite easy with the small knob on the back. I did this because the last print was under-extruding and I noticed the drive gear was slipping on the filament and it even made a bit of a mess of chunks of filament.

Now, THIS is the result (First pic showing the tree supports):

[Image: 6R1i69Il.jpg]
[Image: 7qrowZRl.jpg]

After this success, i scaled the model back up to 100% and went again.

[Image: DKyV5oul.jpg]
[Image: r6Susmml.jpg]

And one in green, because Yoda..

[Image: KM3yDCkl.jpg]
[Image: SevViGDl.jpg]

So I’ve gotta say, the quality of these prints is impeccable, I did use a 0.12 layer height because I know that this is an intricate and curvy model, but WOW I am impressed.

No visible layer lines, no layer shift, no nothing just a perfect print, on the SECOND print, with my guessed CURA settings….. No benchmarks, no nothing lol.

Let me know your thoughts 

Big Grin
Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.